Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Whyfor the Armadillo?

Valid question, and one that I've been asked quite a few times. So, here we go, with three hypotheses that have factored into the decision:

1. Popular opinion. Apparently people like it. In fact, people demanded more armadillo.

2. Nostalgia. There was a Disney cartoon entitled Pluto and the Armadillo which I saw when I was little and all. As I recall, it involved Pluto chasing a ball and mistaking it for a rolled up armadillo, which teased him by rolling around and generally being irritating. So, after chasing it into the bushes, he pounces on it (well, the ball actually, which he's found again) and tears it up, and you get the shock/horror that he thinks he's killed it. But in the end, the armadillo smuggles itself in Mickey's bag and everyone's friends.

3. It actually seems to make some logical sense. Well, I think it does, anyway. Armadillos are the sort of animal that seem kind of neat the first time, being all armoured and able to roll up and just generally interesting. But there are tons more popular animals out there: tigers, elephants, polar bears - you name it. Similarly, MUDs aren't mainstream anymore, these days. People are more likely to be found playing things like World of Warcraft, or shooters on their Xbox. It takes a special kind to appreciate the text-based environment, as well as the armadillo. As well, despite years now of not getting a whole lot of love from the gaming community, we still keep plugging along, and will keep doing so. Armadillos are a loyal breed.

So, now that I'm in this rather philosophical mood, my tune of the day is by The Fox in the Snow by Belle and Sebastian: thanks Dr. Mel for this one. Someday I promise I'll stop scrounging off you and get some new music of my own. It's a great one, though.

No comments: